Young Apprentice Program
Travel back in time to the 1860s at Black Creek Pioneer Village this summer!
The Young Apprentice Program takes young adults back in time for one summer week. As a Young Apprentice in the Village, youth aged 13 - 15 help to portray life in the 1860s, explore skills and techniques involved in working in a history museum, and learn about life in 19th century Ontario. They also spend part of each day working one-on-one with an adult interpreter in a trade shop or historic house.
- Learn an actual skill used in the 19th century and use their new skills to make an item used in the 1860s - and take it home at the end of the week.
- Develop leadership skills by assisting with programs for kids.
- Learn what life was like for youth in the 1860s. What did they wear? Did they work? Go to school? Did they date? Go to dances? What were their lives like?
- Go behind-the-scenes in both our collection and costuming departments.
- Play sports and learn dances - with the real 19th century rules and steps - and help teach them to the public.
- Talk with visitors and portray life in the 1860s!
- Learn how to handle artifacts properly and what they can teach us.
- Wear reproduction clothes from the 1860s!
Trade/Craft Apprenticeship opportunities may include:
- Tinsmithing, weaving, printing on our historic presses, woodworking in the Cabinet Maker's Shop, leather working in Harness Maker's Shop, historic cooking& baking, quilting, needlework, spinning & dyeing, hand sewing & millinery, broom making, or blacksmithing.
The one week session runs from August 19 - 23, 2013
Eligibility and Registration
The Young Apprentice program is open to youth aged 13 - 15. Young Apprentice program is limited to twelve participants.
Three Ways to save $25
1. Register before May 1, 2013
2. Register with a sibling or friend.**
3. Become a Black Creek Pioneer Village or TRCA Parks member.
* Discount offers cannot be combined.
** One registration per transaction will be full priced. Additional registrations on the same transaction will be discounted.
Please click here to download the registration forms
The fee for the one week session is $275.
We are happy to answer any questions about this program. If you have questions, please call 416-667-6295, select option 2. Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.