Join us on Friday, July 17 at 1 p.m. to make some tasty treats to pack on a Victorian picnic.
A Victorian picnic was an extravagant affair with cold meats, sweet and savory tarts and plenty of refreshments! We’re going to show you how to make the very best lemonade and a very tasty cucumber sandwich as well as some easy jam puffs.
To make these mouth-watering morsels you will need the following ingredients.
For Cucumber Sandwiches
- sandwich bread
- 1 large cucumber
- Lemon juice
- Supplies: Bread knife, butter knife, cutting board, bowl and serving platter.
For Jam Puffs (Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management, 1861)
- 1 roll of prepared Puff Pastry (you can get this at the freezer section of the grocery store, or make your own from scratch)
- 1 cup of jam, any kind
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Optional: Icing sugar and whipped cream to serve
- Supplies: Baking sheet, spatula or large spoon, knife, pastry brush
For Portable Lemonade (From Mrs Beecher Domestic Reciept Book, 1850)
- 1 lb of sugar (just over 2 cups of sugar)
- 4 lemons
- Citric acid (optinal)
- Supplies: 1 jar, with lid, zester and citrus reamer