Dates From: circa 1855
Original Location: North York, Ontario
The Harness Shop is a one-and-a-half-storey building originally located on the west side of Jane Street, three lots south of Steeles Avenue.
The harness and saddler trades were essential to the development of transportation and farming. Harnesses were especially important, as they allowed for the efficient use of an animal’s strength to push and pull heavy loads. Saddles and harnesses like those made at this shop were crafted with leather, for strength durability.
Carefully moved to the Black Creek in 1961, the Harness Shop & Saddlery was opened to the public in 1963.