Entrance & Accessible Parking
The Black Creek Pioneer Village entrance is located through the main electronic doors of the Visitor’s Centre. A drop-off circle is located in front of the main doors for any drop-off or pick-up needs at the village.
There are wheelchair accessible parking spaces in the Black Creek parking lot, located approximately 80 metres from the Visitor’s Centre. A paved slow grade sloped path leads from the parking lot to the Visitor’s Centre.
A support person accompanying a person with a disability receives free admission at a maximum ratio of 1:1.
Black Creek is an outdoor museum that recreates life in a rural Ontario village of the mid-19th century. As such, there are uneven road conditions and some distance to traverse between buildings.
There are accessible pathways throughout the Village: a boardwalk in some areas and hard-packed gravel roads in others. Please note that in spring or after a heavy rainfall, the roads can be muddy. Benches are located at several points along the pathways.
The Visitor’s Centre and 14 of the historic buildings are fully accessible by wheelchair. Five buildings are partially accessible.The map below identifies all accessible buildings at Black Creek. (Click to view full-size.)
Please note that the following are not wheelchair accessible:
- Half Way House Second Floor
- Roblin’s Mill Basement
Distances Around the Village
Refer to the building reference numbers on the map above to view locations.
- Visitor’s Centre exit to the Half Way House (#16): 215m
- Visitor’s Centre exit to the Event Pavilion (#36): 175m
- Visitor’s Centre exit to Roblin’s Mill (#20): 360m
- Visitor’s Centre exit to the Fisherville Church (#22): 420m
- Visitor’s Centre exit to Stong Family’s First House (#4): 210m
- Visitor’s Centre exit to Daniel Stong’s Grain Barn: 115m
Service animals are welcome anywhere at Black Creek Pioneer Village.
Support workers receive free admission when accompanying a person with disabilities at a 1:1 ratio.
There are wheelchair accessible stalls in the washrooms at our Visitor’s Centre and in the Village.
Washrooms in the Visitor’s Centre can be found on both the main floor and the lower level. The lower level of the Visitor’s Centre is accessible by public elevator. The washrooms in the Village are located at the Event Pavilion (#36: see map above).
Large Print Guide
A large print guide supplementing our Village Map can be downloaded below.
Black Creek Pioneer Village offers several translations of our Visitor Guide. You can download any of these guides below. Copies are also available at the Admissions Desk in the Visitor’s Centre.
- Black Creek Pioneer Village FRENCH Guide
- Black Creek Pioneer Village GERMAN Guide
- Black Creek Pioneer Village ITALIAN Guide
- Black Creek Pioneer Village JAPANESE Guide
- Black Creek Pioneer Village KOREAN Guide
- Black Creek Pioneer Village RUSSIAN Guide
- Black Creek Pioneer Village SIMPLIFIED CHINESE LANGUAGE Guide
- Black Creek Pioneer Village SPANISH Guide
- Black Creek Pioneer Village TRADITIONAL CHINESE Guide
For any further inquiries or to make any special arrangements, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 416-736-1733.
Accessibility Standards for Customer Service Policy
The purpose of this Customer Service Standards Policy is to fulfill the requirements set out in Regulation 429/07, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, to establish a policy for Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) for governing the provision of its goods or services to persons with disabilities.
TRCA shall use reasonable efforts to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the following principles;
- The goods or services will be provided in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
- The provision of goods or services to persons with disabilities, and others will be integrated unless an alternate measure is necessary, whether temporarily or on a permanent basis, to enable a person with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from the goods or services.
- Persons with disabilities will be given an opportunity equal to that given to others to obtain, use and benefit from the goods or services.
- Persons with disabilities may use assistive devices and/or support persons in the access of goods and services.
- TRCA employees when communicating with a person with a disability shall do so in a manner that takes into account the person’s disability.
This policy shall apply to every person who deals with members of the public or other third parties on behalf of TRCA, whether the person does so as an employee, agent, volunteer or otherwise.
Disabilities – (a) any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device,
(b) a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability,
(c) a learning disability, or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language,
(d) a mental disorder, or
(e) an injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997;
Service Animals – Any animal individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability.
Support Person – Any person whether a paid professional, volunteer, family member or friend that accompanies a person with a disability in order to help with communications, personal care of medical needs or with access to goods or services.
TRCA shall, upon request, supply a copy of the policy, practices and procedures required under the Ontario Regulation 429/07, Accessibility Standards for Customer Service to any person.