Dates From: circa 1840
Original Location: Keele Street and Finch Avenue
Snider’s Cider Mill is vertical board on timber frame, built by Henry Snider in Elia on the banks of the Black Creek.
The mill could produce about 500 gallons of cider a day, but was used exclusively to make cider for the Snider family and friends and was not in commercial production.
A large iron, hand-operated screw press was used to squeeze the ground apples and extract the juice. The apples were laid between layers of straw to filter the juice, which was collected in barrels for storage.
The cider mill was moved to the Village in 1959 and opened in 1961.